While we’re sad that we cannot welcome our guests to Oatlands Park Hotel for our Spring Afternoon tea at the moment, our pastry team had the great idea of sharing our delicious scones recipe, so you can create your very own afternoon tea in the safety of your home.
“Scones are the perfect bake that anyone can make, as they only require a few ingredients (ones that you’ll most likely already have in your cupboard or fridge) and best of all they can be enjoyed with a dollop of clotted cream and jam – enjoy!”
Makes 12 regular sized scones
- 450g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 60g caster sugar
- 100g unsalted cold butter, cut into pieces
- 2 eggs
- 300ml milk
- 75g sultanas
- 1 egg, beaten with a pinch of salt, for the egg wash
- Rolling pin
- 5cm Round cookie cutter – medium sized
- 2 Baking trays
- Cooling rack
- Measuring jug
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/200°C fan/gas mark 6. Line your baking trays with baking paper/ parchment or grease with butter.
- Sift the self-raising flour into a large bowl and add the baking powder and the sugar, followed by a pinch of salt. Tip in the butter in cubes and rub them into the mixture using your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs.
TIP: Don’t over mix them and make sure your hands are cold when handling the butter (you can run your hands under the cold tap or use a metal spoon).
- Beat the eggs and milk together in a measuring jug, then pour this into the flour mixture, stirring as you go until you get a soft, sticky dough.
- Sprinkle flour on a clean, flat work surface and lightly knead the sultanas into the dough before rolling out the dough roughly 3cm deep
- Cut out as many round circles as you can using your cutter and place them on the baking tray. Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and cut out more scones to use it all up. You should get about a dozen large scones.
- Brush the tops of the scones with the beaten egg. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until well risen and golden-brown.
- Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes and serve warm with butter or with clotted cream and your favourite jam.
Afternoon Tea gift vouchers
If you still fancy a bite of the real thing, why not treat yourself or someone special to one of our Afternoon Tea gift vouchers to use when Oatlands Park Hotel reopens soon. All of our gift vouchers are valid for 12 months, meaning that you can purchase now and visit when the hotel reopens later this year.See all news